Fit to Work Certificatelogo

It is not necessary to have a Doctor’s certificate until you have been absent continuously from work for seven days including weekends. After three days you must obtain a self-certificate (SC2) from your employer.

What is self-certification?

Self-certification is a way to prove that you were ill or injured and needed to take time off work to recover. Not all employers ask their employees to self-certify on their return – a fit note is usually enough to prove you were unwell.

Self-certification form

If your employer asks you to complete a self-certification form, you should provide as much detail as you can about the:

  • reason you were off — including information about your illness or injury
  • causes of your illness or injury
  • dates your sickness started and ended

Many employers have their own self-certification form, but HM Revenue and Customs have created a form template, which is publicly available should your employer not have one. Download the Statutory Sick Pay: employee’s statement of sickness (SC2) form on GOV.UK

If your employer insists on a private certificate for an illness of less than seven days duration then the Doctor will charge a fee of £10.

If your illness continues for more than seven days then under the NHS your GP can issue an official statement (Med3) “fit to work certificate” to confirm your illness. See sample Med3